Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What time does ........




This happened many years ago when I was working in Secunderabad. There was a direct land line next to my table and its number was pretty much similar to Railway Enquiry. Those days Railways did not have the three digit enquiry numbers.

Well, one day, while I was busy at my desk, the phone rang and no one was around to lift. I picked-up the call and before I could say "hello" a lady on the other end asked hurriedly "
what time does Madras Express depart from Secunderabad?". I knew the time and since it was అ lady, I said courteously the time. But she did not hangup.

She continued and asked "
what time does it arrive at Madras Central?" I certainly did not have an answer upfront. I told her "please stay on line", accessed a Time Table in a cup board three tables away, referred to it and answered her.

She was evidently irritated at the long pause and quipped -"
does it take such a long time for you to respond?". I told her " I had to refer to a Time Table and it was readily not there on my desk".

My matter of fact reply apparently miffed her and she said -"
neither you know the timings nor you have the Tables; is this how you respond the Enquiry callers?"

This time
I did not give up and said "not many call, for these timings everyday". Mistaking me for impudent, she attacked me "no callers? Then how your lines are always engaged, on no end?".

Having decided not to stretch any farther, I said "
This is so and so Company and not Railway Enquiry". She turned at once apologetic and said "but why did you answer?"

"
You were in such a hurry and I knew the Train Time. But for the second enquiry I did not have the reply off hand and I had to put you on hold" I said.

She regretted profusely and exchanged her number.

No comments: